If I go to, say, a sporting goods store down the street, I want to touch the product I am about to buy. At the store, I often compare the item to another similar product. A salesperson walks up at some point, tells me more about the products and makes it easier for me to choose the right one. When they offer what I need, I decide to buy it.
In a brick and mortar store I can touch the products, but in an online store I can’t. In addition, there are no salespersons and I can go to a competing online store with a few mouse clicks without anyone noticing. I may never get as far as actually buying the product.
Is it possible to recreate the traditional buying experience online?
In an online store, product information is the virtual equivalent of the real-life product that I want to touch before deciding to buy. Therefore, accurate product information is crucial.
If the product information is not well organized, I cannot even find the products I need. Accurate and well structured product information, on the other hand, makes it easier to compare products. If there are great photos (including all color variants of a product) and zooming tools, I feel almost as if I was holding the real product in my hand. As a result, when I find a product with a description that matches my needs, I am ready to buy it.
Get the right tools for product information management
With multi-channel sales, large product selection and detailed product information, product information management must be efficient and easy. Product information is shared on multiple channels, but you also need to be able to enrich and use the product data provided by the manufacturers, suppliers, and the internal channels (sales, marketing, customer service etc.). This calls for system and process integration, in other words, central product information management.
- Single data source for all sales channels in multiple languages, regardless of time and place.
- Enterprise level product information management processes from supplier to sales.
- Accurate product information including product description, price, features, photos and videos.
- Product structure and product range management by sales channel.
At Descom, we have the right tools and solutions for product information management. Our partner is Heiler Software AG, the leading supplier of PIM solutions. With central product information management (Enterprise Product Information Management, PIM) you can:
- Boost sales in all sales channels
- Open up new sales channels
- Increase customer loyalty
- Gain competitive advantages
- Save costs in purchasing, sales, marketing, and IT
- Shorten the time-to-market of new products
Brian K. Walker from Forrester about the “Role of Product Content in Commerce: